Saturday, February 23, 2008

jennifer's birthday

My favorite time of the week (besides 5:35 p.m. on Friday's when i exit my work building) - Saturday morning at 7:35 a.m. when you wake up with a slight panic because I think i'm running late and then realize - but no, it's saturday and I have all the time in the world.

Well not all of the time, but at least until 9:30ish (which I prefer to 6:25 a.m. ugh...i am NOT a morning person). Today is Jennifer's birthday and we're having her a very 4th grade surprise birthday party, as I call it the "one-balloon-birthday-party", with the gaudy sign that says Happy Birthday and silly string attacks and whatever else the the Dollar General will have. But weren't those always the best parties? Simple, flashy, and fun.

it would be wrong to say i "forgot" it was Jennifer's birthday, because I found her the perfect birthday card like three weeks ago... It's just wierd to think we actually still have birthdays I guess, or at least celebrate them? Sarah for example, didn't want to celebrate her birthday on any level, especially it being the day after our first Christmas without Mama. She was pretty sure about it, didn't want anything - no gifts, not a cake, nothing. We of course didn't listen totally and got a cake while we were at the cabin. But Jennifer never really said one way or the other what she wanted, actually she never really says a lot about how she feels... it's kind of like a perfectly timed portal - when she decides to talk about you'd better listen because you never know when she might decide to talk again. Sarah and I are seriously extroverted, we're the one's with the blogs, the massive temper tantrums (...okay, I'll be honest, Sarah is more than me, at least her temper tantrums are more focused... I'm a wierd mixture of Sarah and Jennifer, I get mad and have freakouts, but my anger usually gets directed at something I'm not actually that mad about at all...). Anyway, Jennifer tends to be more introverted, some people see introverted as "simple" people...Jennifer is not simple. She's one of three of the most crazy individuals I've ever met - Sarah, me, and her.

But I hope it's a good birthday for her, for what it's worth. It's going to be hard. Mama won't be here. Almost every year Grandma and Grandpa (Mama's parents) used to come down on her birthday weekend, but now there's hardly any communication at all...not really sure why, can't pinpoint it. It's going to be hard, but I hope that our tacky banners and immature silly string attacks can save the day.

0 comments: