Monday, April 7, 2008

an introduction...


Hi, my name is Bottled Water.
I am made of polyethylene terephthalate…which you might know as crude oil.

I am so popular it takes 17+ million barrels of oil annually to make, produce, and transport me.

You probably think I’m healthier than tap water, but there’s a 40% chance I began as tap water and was mixed with minerals that have no proven health benefit.

Drink to much of those minerals and you could face some health problems.

My production is less regulated than the maintenance of tap water.

There is an 86% chance that I will become garbage or litter.

Burn me and I will emit chlorine gas and heavy-metal ash into the atmosphere.

Bury me and I will take 1,000 years to biodegrade.

Try to recycle me and I could be exported all the way to China – adding to the unnecessary use of resources.

Thinking of reusing me? Look up the term “leaching.”

Hi, my name is Bottled Water.

Want to use me? I don’t cost that much…





Most of these fun facts came from http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/2006/Update51.htm And also an array of other website found through Googling the terms “leaching”, “water bottle+health”, “water bottle+statistics”, and “water bottle+CNN”

0 comments: