Sunday, March 16, 2008

part of me

speaking of glimpsetrax if my life had one for it's current state it would be as follows...
(not necessarily in this order)

1) Fresh feeling - the eels
2) Bittersweet Symphony - the verve (cliche i know)
3) Nineteen - tegan and sara
4) New Soul - yael naim
5) Is There A Ghost - band of horses
6) Staring at the Sun - tv on the radio
7) The Funeral - band of horses
8) The Quiet Screaming (Dashboard Confessional vs Brand New) - the legion of doom
9) Sowing Season - brand new
10) Ooh Ahh (my life be like) - grits
11) To Let Myself Go - ane brun


now if i had made this list even two weeks ago every single one of the songs would have been terribly depressing. But believe it or not, most of these aren't. Even if the subject isn't necessarily happy it's not really terribly sad.

some of them literally made me stop tho. one night after smoking some of my friends "indian herb" (no it isn't illegal, you can buy it in shops that sell hookahs and stuff) we were all very relaxed and staring at the sun by tv on the radio came on and i thought i was going to explode like a firework...in other words, it was an incredible feeling. For that very reason you should smoke a peace pipe and listen to that song, just so you'll hopefully have the same experience. :-)

Yael naim's New Soul is a special song because Sarah likes it. And sarah doesn't like music, which i just can't quiet comprehend, but that's okay... And it's a good wonderful song, most of you probably would recognize it as the commercial song for the new mac laptop.

And then there's the heavier ones, like the quiet screaming which was actually sent to me while I was in california by a certain someone... it's funny how much music can say things for a person, and how much confusion it can cause when suddenly their actions dictate otherwise. It's funny really in a horribly unfunny way. While i was in california this person missed me terribly, sent me this song that is so heart wrenching, so telling...

I'm missing your bed
I never sleep
Avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak,
And this bottle of beast
Is taking me home
I'm cuddling close
To blankets and sheets
But you're not alone, and you're not discreet
Make sure I know who's taking you home.

I'm reading your note over again
And there's not a word that I comprehend,
Except when you signed it
I will love you always and forever

I'm missing your laugh
How did it break?
And when did your eyes begin to look fake?
I hope you're as happy as you're pretending.

I'm cuddling close
To blankets and sheets
and I am alone
In my defeat I wish I knew you were safely at home


I guess distance really did make the heart grow fonder...

anyway, music is a huge part of my life. i'm so glad i have it as an outlet.

it helps me cope, it helps me change, it helps me say things i can't put into words, it helps me stay the same, it helps me pick up and move on...

0 comments: