Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I AM


So i would like to make a statement.
The word of the week is Vagina.
Why? You may ask.
Because last night Koti and I went and saw the Vagina Monologues and it was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. It was amazing. Completely amazing.

I walked out of that theatre feeling so empowered, so beautiful, so special, and so proud to be a woman. I felt like demanding the respect, getting rid of those who haven't given it to me, making people work to be in my life. I felt like trusting people unconditionally, loving the people I care about that have hurt me, leaving all of my inhabitions in the floor of that theatre.

Maybe it wouldn't affect everyone like that, but I guess in the place where I am, with getting rid of a certain someone who never loved or respected me when I waited and waited...and waited, aaaand waited, with shoving away the people who have hurt me, I needed to be replenished... I needed to be reminded why I should be proud of who I am. It's funny that earlier that afternoon Sarah had told me when she was kind of going through a similiar situation with a yucky boy she would write a series of statements, an affirmation of sorts, of who she was, what she wanted, why she wanted it, and then I went to see this phenomanal performance all based on being WOMAN, and being PROUD, not making EXCUSES, not feeling ASHAMED. EMBRACING.


I AM SUSANNA WEATHERS
I may be twenty going on forty, but my birthday hasn't come yet, and I may grow younger still.
I am talented.
And I will no longer be shy about it.
I can draw.
I can paint.
I can play musical instruments.
Four of them.
Maybe not well, but enough to satisfy my thirst to play.
Violin, Guitar, Mandolin, Piano.
I love my style.
I know I dress well, because it makes me happy... not because it's what other people like.
I HAVE A MOTHER.
Not, used to have
I HAVE A MOTHER.
Her name is Denise.
And she loves me more than anything else in this world.
Because I am a part of her.
So are my sisters, Jennifer and Sarah.
They are the most beautiful woman on this earth.
We are unstoppable.
Sometimes I get frightened.
Sometimes I get angry.
Sometimes I throw my high heels.
Sometimes I am a bitch.
Sometimes I misdirect my anger.
Sometimes I am sorry for it.
Today, I AM NOT SORRY.
This is me.
Take me.
Love me.
Hate me.
See me.
I AM SUSANNA WEATHERS.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This is fabulous... completely and utterly fabulous. I feel better about you, myself, Jennifer, Mama - everything - just because I read this post.

I'm so proud of you.

theWAYiam said...

Sue,
We both know I love stalking your blogs. This one is especially fantastic. I am very glad we attended this wonderful event. I'm glad you walked away with a sence of empowerment. GO Vaginas!

I love you.