Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A "Real Simple" Way to Save $$$

Here's a short list on 6 ways you can save at the grocery store.

If you're like me you hate Walmart. HATE IT. It represents everything evil and corporate and its basically death to the small store owner. And my heart died a little when I walked in and saw Sarah and Bobby unpacking groceries from *gasp* Walmart plastic bags...

Anyway, I digress, I found this list via CNN and intend to take its advice. I already do some things - like using supermarket club cards and buying store brand items. But there are some other tips that I hadn't really thought about that much, like buying fruit and veggie items fresh, instead of pre-cut and pre-packaged (there's almost a $6.00 difference in price - insanity).

I would take this a step further and say buy fruits and veggies from your local fruit stand (we have one near our house that's open every day), and even a step furthur and say if you've got a large pot in your house, or 2x2 patch of dirt, grow your own tomatoes, or cucumbers or whatever. I'm super proud of Sarah because she and Bobby (with the initial supervision of Ms. Linda) planted a garden of cucumbers and tomatoes (those Roma tomatoes are little jewels I'll tell ya).

Happy bargain-grocery hunting!

0 comments: